Let us help you with your real estate transaction
I cannot stress enough the importance of obtaining legal advice when dealing with a real estate transaction. For some, real estate could mean purchasing a home. For others, it may be purchasing their first investment property. Whatever the case may be, the purchase of real estate is probably the highest expenditure of money one will make in their lifetime. Whatever purchase you are going to make, you should try to minimize, or remove, the risk of something going wrong during this process. And I could not stress this enough, but you should NEVER sign a document if you do not know what you are signing.
If you are considering undertaking a real estate transaction, we can help you navigate your way through the entire process. We can help you with the following:
- Purchase/Sale – We assist clients in the purchase or sale of Texas residential and commercial real estate transactions.
- Representation – We represent buyers, sellers, landlords, contractors, lenders and investors.
- Knowledge – Knowing how the process works before you enter into a transaction will probably save you money. It is very important to talk to an attorney before you talk to the buyer, seller, lender, landlord, investor, or contractor.
- Consultations – If all you want/need is a consultation, we provide consultations regarding questions a buyer, seller, lender, landlord, investor, or contractor may have regarding a real estate transaction. It’s always better to consult before you enter into a transaction, but it certainly never hurts to know what your rights or responsibilities are once you signed a contract.
- Buying Property – We assist our clients throughout the buying process, which includes, preparation and/or review of the sales contract, recommending any changes to the sales contract if we did not prepare the sales contract, highly recommending the purchase of a title/tax policy to insure title is clear and taxes are paid, reviewing and making changes to the title commitment if necessary, reviewing and discussing with client the closing documents. Like I said earlier, NEVER sign something if you do not know what you are signing (especially when there are thousands of dollars at stake). When representing a buyer, the preparation of the sales contract will differ than when I represent the seller.
- Selling Property – We assist our clients throughout the selling process, which includes, preparation and/or review of the sales contract, recommending any changes to the sales contract if we did not prepare the sales contract, reviewing and recommending changes to the title commitment if one was requested, reviewing and discussing with client the closing documents. Like I said earlier, NEVER sign something if you do not know what you are signing (especially when there are thousands of dollars at stake). When representing a seller, the preparation of the sales contract will differ than when I represent the buyer.
- Building a Home – We discuss the home building process with the client, which includes obtaining a home loan, choosing the right contractor, signing a construction contract that is beneficial to the homeowner (and not just the builder), making sure the builder pays the subcontractors, what happens if the builder does not finish on time, what happens if no work is being done on a daily basis, etc.
- Document preparation – We can prepare documents as part of the representation if that is all that is needed. This may include the sales/purchase contract, deed, promissory note, deed of trust, release of lien, affidavits, assignment of contract, etc.
- Broker/Lawyer – Combined broker/lawyer representation in the real estate transaction
- Closings – We perform closings from beginning to end, from a cash deal to an assumption, to an owner finance transaction.
- Wrap-around or Contract for Deed – We can help you decide whether to enter into a wrap-around or contract for deed (not recommended). If you still decide to do it or have already done it, we can help in advising you what they are, the dangers of entering into these type of transactions, minimizing the risks or consequences of doing so.
- Clearing Title – We help client’s clear title to their property. This is done so an owner can sell or obtain a loan on their property, or simply to remove an encumbrance an owner knows should not be there. Clearing title can be as simple as filing an affidavit, recording a release of lien, or preparing and filing an affidavit of heirship to show the heirs of a deceased property. Clearing title can also be more costly and time consuming by having to file a lawsuit to determine the rightful owners or have the court determine the correct boundaries of a property.
- Loaning Money – Before you lend money, we prepare the loan documents you need for your particular transaction (whether it be a secured or unsecured loan).
- Leases – We assist clients with the review and/or drafting of a residential or commercial lease. If you have questions regarding your current lease, you can set up a consultation to have your questions answered.